Title: Focus on Domestic Living
Thesis: If society were to consider the negative impact of our consumer driven culture in America, then families or homemakers would shift from being entirely dependent on what they purchase to a more focused approach of self-production.
Outline:
I. The developing interest in local food movement.
a. Her economical stand on local food movement.
i. Connecting with other ecological minded homemakers.
ii. Taking a pro-homemaker stand.
II. The origins of homemaking.
a. The roots of the housewife.
b. The role of the husband.
c. The impact from the industrial Revolution on homemaking.
d. Separation of the sexes in the home.
i. The man’s occupation comes from outside the home.
ii. The women work from within the walls of the home.
III. Effects of the “Housewife Syndrome”.
a. Convincement that women can do more than be at home.
b. Pushing women into the workforce.
c. Second family incomes become a necessity.
IV. A national look at the radical homemaker.
a. Hayes personal research of radical homemakers.
b. The role of homemakers through the American Revolution.
i. Movements of boycotts.
ii. The launch of a young Democratic nation.
c. The impact of national choices of a radical homemaker
i. Making family and social justice a priority.
ii. The health and well being of the planet.
d. Living around the poverty level.
i. Learning to live of less.
ii. Mastering domestic skills.
V. Skills of the average homemaker.
a. Tackling the domestic skills
b. Establishment of realistic expectations.
c. Creating pleasure rather than buying.
d. The development of skills start at the home.
I read this essay too and was thinking about writing on it. I really like all the points you make, and I think this is an important issue to address, and that the author develops her points really well. You also have a lot of points here, but I feel like they could be developed just a little bit more, expanding on exactly why they help the author's rhetorical approach.
ReplyDeleteI decided to write about this article, too. I like the way you planned to organize your analysis and I also liked the points that you made. I'm definitely interested in reading your paper to compare it to mine. I'm also curious to read about your fourth point dealing with "a national look at the radical homemaker" - specifically parts c and d. It sounds like a good paper!
ReplyDelete